Xylitol is a naturally occurring 5-carbon sugar alcohol found in many fruits and vegetables and produced in small amounts by the human body.
Xylitol has the same sweetness as sugar but with 40% fewer calories and none of the negative tooth decay or insulin release effects of sugar.
Bacteria can't metabolize xylitol, so in effect they starve to death, reducing their reproduction and growth properties.
Check out this study, showing how using a nasal spray with xylitol reduces ear infections in children:
Abstract; xylitol nasal spray reduces ear infections
I keep this in stock at my practice for my clients to purchase. Unfortunately, living in the Florida Keys limits our access to some products. Here's an easy link to find it; http://www.xlear.com/
Some simple lifestyle tips for being healthy in flu season include the normal get plenty of rest, lower stress, maximize immune system boosters such as vitamin C.
- Build up your vitamin D supply. There is an abundance of research pointing to the need for more vitamin D in our diets. Supplements are recommended because we just aren't getting enough through diet. Here's a great link to a blogger that gets down to the nitty gritty with Vitamin D.
Vitamin D, marksdailyapple
If you feel like you may be coming down with a cold, here are some lifestyle tips to reducing the life of the virus.
- Drink plenty of water! simple.
- Rest, rest, rest
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Limit sugar.
- sugar promotes inflammation in the body
- There is research that shows sugar impacts the immune system